With Rainer Werner from Austria, the BOSS GP now has a permanent race director who brings a lot of experience and puts safety first.
Rainer Werner has been working as race director and steward for four decades. He supervised over 200 events in the different categories car, motorcycle and rally. Werner will be on site as race director at all BOSS GP races in 2018. This ensures that the sporting regulations are applied equally at every event – drivers can thus adapt to a consistent interpretation of the regulations.
Werner’s workplace is first and foremost the race control, where he can view the entire race track by video cameras. The tasks of the race control include controlling the traffic lights, coordinating the marshals, using the safety car and the initial assessment of collisions and violations of the rules. As a rule, independent race commissioners who analyse and evaluate disputed actions in detail decide on penalties imposed.
Clip and Clear
Between sessions, the new race director is accessible to the teams at a central location in the paddock. “A clear line right from the start,” says Werner, should ensure that the rules are observed. Safety is the top priority, overtaking under a yellow flag is dangerous for security personnel and would be punished immediately. Werner makes decisions transparently, a certain distance to drivers is part of the job: “During the races I only see the start numbers, names don’t matter.”
Further rule changes:
- Only Pirelli racing tyres are permitted. The official tyre supplier will supply the BOSS GP cars at each race and will be available for assembly.
- Participation in the driver briefing is mandatory for all drivers and team principals. All crew chiefs receive a radio for communication with the race director at each event.
- A speed limit of 60 km/h applies in the pit lane, overtaking in the pit lane is prohibited.
- When stopping in the pit lane, the drivers must place themselves in the working lane at a 45-degree angle to the pit lane exit. Driving on the pit lane in the working lane is not permitted.
- If the race is aborted by means of the red flag, all participants drive slowly into the pit lane to their position, overtaking is prohibited. After reaching the parking position and switching off the engine work on the vehicle is permitted – however refuelling is forbidden.